Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Page Saving Plugin for Firefox - Scrapbook

One thing I seriously miss in Firefox is to save a html page in its entirety as single file.

I tried spiders and downloaders. However nothing came close to the convenience of CHTML ( Compiled HTML ) made available by IE.

However my faith in humanity was restored when I encountered this great addon for Firefox - Scrapbook. Scrapbook Firefox addon page

A quick look at its features -
Major features are:

  • Save Web page
  • Save snippet of Web page
  • Save Web site [ robot / spider ! ]
  • Organize the collection in the same way as Bookmarks
  • Full text search and quick filtering search of the collection
  • Editing of the collected Web page
  • Text/HTML edit feature resembling Opera's Notes

A little more technically scrapbook adds the "spider" feature to firefox allowing to save the pages in categories / folders with tags et al! Now if this isn't awesome I don't know what is. And since its a part of firefox it utilizes its cache to the hilt. No special / additional downloading ( except when you ask it to "follow" links on the page to a certain level. )

Now this goes waaaay beyond the capabilities of chtml. Infact its just perfect if you are a google scout like me and likes to keep notes of things all around. I love it. Give it a try and you'll never save a page like you did again !!

P.S : I have started building my scrapbook ... Now only looking to share it >)

No comments:

AddThis !